[SEL] The Rice & Sargent Lives!

Lew Best bee_keeper at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 27 20:32:20 PST 2006

That's really neat!!!!!!!!!!!

Lew Best near Waco, TX

-----Original Message-----
From: sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com
[mailto:sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com] On Behalf Of James
Mackessy
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 10:33 PM
To: The SEL email list
Subject: [SEL] The Rice & Sargent Lives!

Some of you will remember posts dating back into the late '90's of a
corliss steam engine rescue from the old L.C. Smith Typewriter plant in
Syracuse, New York, when that building was demolished. It was through
this list that we learned of the Tod engine, and learned that we really
could rescue a comparatively small engine. Many times when we hit a
snag, the folks on this list gave suggestions, explanations and
encouragement, and kept us headed in the right direction.
Well, after 8 years of work, we finally got to a point where we could
test her on compressed air. We only have enough air for about 3 power
strokes on this 18 x 36" cylinder, but to see her under power for the
first time in over 56 years was, well, ....AWESOME! For those who don't
know, 450 horsepower @ 150 RPM on 145 PSI steam, 7 ton 11' flywheel. We
have a lot of small details to attend to, such as a leaky packing on the
piston rod, oiler line piping, indicator pipes, etc., but we're almost
there. The boiler is about 85% complete, and we hope to be done by
spring. We took a few videos, less than 15 seconds each so they should
not be too much to download. Here are the links:
http://www.youtube.com/v/YkmoWjqsCwo
http://www.youtube.com/v/6mio1Ub_2q4
http://www.youtube.com/v/ZXGH5fcjlXQ
To see the project web pages, a little out of date now, go to:
http://www.eriecanalcamillus.com
and click on "steam engine".
Thanks to all of you who helped, some indirectly by sharing your
restoration and recovery knowledge in discussing other projects here,
and some who took the time to answer our many questions. I don't think
we would have had the nerve to try this without your inspiration!
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy
Camillus Canal Society Steam Engine Project