[SEL] Chips on the floor....

Elden DuRand edurand at iglou.com
Tue Nov 21 12:26:15 PST 2006

Curt:

If it's a REALLY cheap lathe and neither the headstock or tailstock is adjustable AND it is only a few thousandths out, you could place shims under one of the mounting pads and retighten.  This will twist the ways a little, in effect moving the tailstock some.  It would be a cut-and-try process.

Of course, if it's too far off and you have to select a shim that's really thick to get the twist you need, when you tighten the bolt, you will hear the loud "CRACK", followed by your own personal comment.  THEN you can hope the next lathe you own is of slightly better quality........Nyuk, nyuk!

Take care - Elden
edurand at iglou.com
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand