[SEL] Milker update

Steve Gray segray at bigvalley.net
Mon Nov 20 13:28:33 PST 2006

Hey All -

  For those who replied and/or have any interest in this milker engine
project, I've put the rest of the current pictures up (#6-9) showing the
guts of the crankcase, primarily the vacuum pump. The engine con rod
assembly is Ford T in this engine. As Tim had mentioned earlier, the
head bolts ended up being candidates for the flame wrench, 4 of the 6
backing out nicely after some heat. Two had little or no heads left, so
I went in with a Makita grinder and ground any of the remaining heads
away, leaving just the bolt shanks. The head came right off, after
which, I used a stud wrench to remove the remaining bolts (pic #6). The
pump (on the left end of the crank in pic #7 has seen lots of water, but
is free. The copper tubing leads from a piston pump in a closed oil sump
in the base and pumps oil into a site glass on top of the block before
running down over the pump casting. This oil eventually makes it over to
a dip sump under the engine con rod before returning to the hidden sump
via an oil passage. Pics 8 & 9 show the vacuum pump. The pistons are
tied together by a ridged con rod, while one piston has a normal con rod
tied to the special throw on the end of the crank. The pump valving is
operated by bronze fork in pic 9 and an eccentric, also on the end of
the crank.

http://www.oldengineshed.com/snapshots/milker6.jpg
http://www.oldengineshed.com/snapshots/milker7.jpg
http://www.oldengineshed.com/snapshots/milker8.jpg