[SEL] Low tension coils

Elden DuRand edurand at iglou.com
Sat Nov 18 07:51:20 PST 2006

Dave:

I may have confused the listings.  There are three tables.  The first one is feet per Ohm for four gauges of wire.  Just multiply the number of Ohms you are looking for by the ft/Ohm number of the wire of choice.

The second and third tables are for the amount of wire to draw 2 Amps.  The second table is calculated using a 6-Volt battery.  The third table is calculated using a 12-Volt battery.

If you want something other than 2 Amps at either 6 or 12 Volts, use the first table.  Let's say you want a coil to draw 5 Amps at 8 Volts.  Use Ohm's law to find the resistance you need to get this result.  Since R-E/I, divide the voltage (8 Volts) by the current (5 Amps).  This gives 1.6 Ohms.

Now, let's say you have a spool of 18 gauge wire laying around that you want to wind the coil with.  To find the length of wire needed, multiply the resistance wanted (1.6 Ohms) by the feet/Ohm from the table (156.9) to get 251.04 feet of 18 gauge wire.

How'm I a-doin/?

Take care - Elden
edurand at iglou.com
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand