[SEL] Low tension coils

Elden DuRand edurand at iglou.com
Fri Nov 17 15:31:37 PST 2006

Ron & Steve:

I think I didn't give enough information before.  Referring to my 1908 Electrical Engineer's Handbook, I have the following data for annealed copper wire:

16 gauge wire - 249.4 ft/Ohm
18 gauge wire - 156.9 ft/Ohm
20 gauge wire - 98.66 ft/Ohm
22 gauge wire - 62.05 ft/Ohm

For a 6 Volt coil to draw 2 Amps, you'd need 3 Ohms or:

16 gauge wire - 750 ft
18 gauge wire - 471 ft
20 gauge wire - 297 ft
22 gauge wire - 189 ft

For a 12 Volt coil to draw 2 Amps, you'd need 6 Ohms or:

16 gauge wire - 1,500 ft
18 gauge wire -    942 ft
20 gauge wire -    594 ft
22 gauge wire -    378 ft

Simple, eh?  Makes me want to go out and wind a few coils!

Other than measuring the length of the wire before starting winding, you could select your wire gauge and make a guess at the size of bobbin you'd need for the requisite amount of wire (adding some just for yucks).  Then, after winding what you -think- is enough, hook one lead of your trusty Ohmmeter to the "starting" end then scrape just a minute amound of insulation off the wire and measure.  From that, you should be able to tell how close you are.

To fix the insulation, you could either fold a tiny sliver of tissue paper around the wire then wind it onto the winding or you could give it a shot of either lacquer or "glyptol" to insulate the spot.

Take care - Elden
edurand at iglou.com
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand