[SEL] Re: Molasses Derusting

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Mon Nov 13 15:34:18 PST 2006

On Nov 13, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Joseph L Betz wrote:

> Now I'm really confused.
>
> Is this the same Molasses I use on my pancakes ?

Hi Joe,
It's not really the molasses that removes the rust, but the molasses
and water make a very sweet, nutritious soup.  You're dirty. Your
bucket, the air, your hands, they're all filthy.  Everything around
you is infected with bacteria, which end up in your derusting
solution.  The little creepy crawlies start eating the tasty sugars
and humping.  The bugs are very prolific and all that humping makes
them hungry.  Before long, there are billions and billions of bugs in
your soup, eating, peeing and fornicating.  Interestingly, the bug
piddle is acid.  They eat the sugar and excrete acid.  It is that
acid that effects the rust on your engine parts.

Rob