[SEL] De-rusting + Phosphoric acid

Paul + Colleen Gray pcgray at zoominternet.net
Sat Nov 11 12:17:44 PST 2006

Folks-

Dont forget that if you use this stuff for crankcases, you can coat the
inside with gas tank sealer or Glyptal after derusting.. I add
lampblack to my sealer so it does not look white. This will keep the
loose stuff, if any , bonded to the metal. Epoxy would also work.
I recommend heating the parts to ~250 -300F sans babbitt to completely
dry them out B4 coating.
My friend George Coates finished repairing the crankcase on a 2 HP
Bovaird which originally had a patch on the crankcase which I had him
weld in with a cast patch.The piece was broken out to get at the rod. I
splashed on the other side of the block to make a pattern; now even has
the parting seam on the crankcase. Of course, he coated the inside with
Corlar (sp) epoxy. It was full of rust when I started; pix at
http://www.ghcoates.com/Barker.htm
Mi dos centavos-

Paul