[SEL] Anyone Ever Used Phosphoric Acid to DeRust

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Thu Nov 9 21:05:57 PST 2006

Paul --

I've used phosphoric acid to remove light rust.  I use it full strength.
Sometimes I'll neutralize it by putting it into my electrolytic vat.  Other
times I'll not neutralize it, but wash it off, instead, and then apply one
of the metal prep solutions, such as Ospho or Metal Ready.

For your crankcase, I'd suggest either molasses or a solution of salt and
vinegar.  Just dissolve as much salt as you can in the vinegar and pour the
solution into your crankcase.  It would be cheaper than phosphoric acid and
you probably have already have the supplies you need for the job.

IMHO, you'll have a slower, more controllable reaction with molasses or
salt/vinegar.

After de-rusting, I'd passivate the surface with Ospho, or similar.

Regards,

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA