[SEL] RE: Rare Decals

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Thu Nov 9 15:55:35 PST 2006

On Nov 9, 2006, at 12:26 PM, Lew Best wrote:
> I'd thought of the digital thing; probably the best shot at it.  The
> paint is so bad though (lotsa rust showing through) I don't think it
> would clean up well.  I can send you a pic on the back channel
> (think I
> have one already but from an angle) if you like.  Actually (and
> ironically) I bought this to use; the rarity of it was an unknown
> bonus
> when I bought it.  No interest in showing it; just prefer working with
> "presentable iron" rather than something that looks like junk.  :)

Hi Lew,
If it doesn't clean up well, might be easier to make a new one from
scratch.
Look at the letters, colors and layout, and use something like
Illustrator
or Photoshop to make something similar.  Here are a couple that I've
done for t-shirts:

http://engines.rustyiron.com/lorenz/lorenz-logo.gif
This one uses a LOT of artistic license, but has the basic look of an
original logo.
One chap bagged it off the web page and made decals for his engine.

http://engines.rustyiron.com/commercial/commercial-logo.jpg
This one is very close to the original.  In fact, it's better.
It's fooled experts.

Using graphic programs is hard to learn, but there are plenty of
online resources for learning the basics.

Rob