[SEL] Introduction

James Hardman Jim at hardmanfamily.net
Tue Nov 7 09:39:35 PST 2006

I have been a member of this list for some weeks now, and shamefully have
not said hello.

I am Jim Hardman of Dorset, Vermont, and know some of the list members
through long attendance at the Rough & Tumble and Coolspring shows.  Now 71,
I continue to collect early spark plugs (this has been a 47 year hobby) and
truly enjoy restoring early engines.  My wife Pat and I are retired, I
remain an engineer at heart, a former formulator of epoxy and urethane
adhesives.

Our engine collection is modest, about 5 smaller engines, a lot easier to
handle than the big fellows.  My favorite is a 2 HP Goold, Shapley & Muir
(the "Canadian White & Middleton"), but the best runners are a 1-1/2 HP
Lauson-Lawton and a 1 HP Domestic, a "Stovepipe".  We just finished the
restoration of a 2 HP Bullseye.

In many ways, this is a family hobby, a sharing of common interests.  I am
blessed to have a son, Tom, who has several engines in Ohio and a son Jim,
who has always enjoyed attending these shows.  Prior to the new
administration at Rough & Tumble prohibiting cars in the exhibit areas, the
entire family including 6 grand children would gather for a week of fun in
Kinzers each August.  In fact, two of our grand children tell us that our
week there in Pennsylvania Dutch country was the highlight of their social
year.  Engine shows are wonderful family events!

I enjoy machine work.  When we relocated to Vermont 15 years ago, we
connected the old 2-car garage to the main house, framed in one of the
doors, added paneling, windows and heat, and converted it to a "dream" home
shop.  We even carpeted the floor for added warmth, although lathe swarf is
a pain to vacuum up.  Equipment is pretty basic, a 13 in. South Bend Lathe,
a Clausing Mill and an old B&S surface grinder.  But with these tools I have
built (and rebuilt) several model gas and steam engines as well as
replicated many parts for restoration projects.

Thanks for the warmth and obvious friendships available on this list.
Dorset is somewhat remote (we live in rural farm country) and winters tend
to be long.  This computer is truly a window to the world and the ability to
process digital images makes it all but indispensable.  Thanks to all who
have posted personal pictures!

Warm Regards to all...   Jim