[SEL] http://www.oldengineshed.com/intros.html

Joseph L Betz jlb94 at juno.com
Tue Nov 7 06:04:18 PST 2006

Hi List,   I'll submit the following edited text for updating.  Later,
when I find a decent pic, I'll submit it.   Thanks.
Joe Betz (Picture)
My name is Joe Betz.  Some people call me "Pip".  That came from when I
was a small kid.
I'm 62, retired at 56 in January 2001 from the floor covering industry.
Installed Carpet, Vinyl Tile, and the like.  Comercial jobs only.  Me,
wife Sylvia, Amy, and Joey, live in a Ryan Homes plan in the town of
Library, PA. 10 miles south of Pittsburgh.  (The up-d-up's call it South
Park.)  Very limited (by space) on what I can harbor in the garage.

My first introduction to this hobby was with the Tri-State Historical
Steam Asso. in Finleyville.  Went to a few shows and wanted to get
"Hands-On".  Me and my boy (Joe Jr.)who is now 25, ended up operating a
1926 Buffalo Springfield, 12 ton steam roller at the Finleyville show for
about 3 or 4 years because no one else wanted it.  Too much trouble
firing it and stearing.  Personally, I loved that engine.

I always asked, "Where are all the small engines?" (Meaning gas )  Never
got a good answer to that one.  It seemes there is a discrepency between
gas people and steam people.  A subject that still remains as clear as
mud to me.

Almost bought that roller from Willis Able, who owns about 90% of the
steam at Tri-State.
Decided it wasn't a good move.

Bought my first Gas Engine, at an auction, in an effort to be able to
attend other shows and be an "exhibitor".    Am pretty much limited to
small engines.  2 - 3 HP because of the living conditions.

Drive a Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 that's  '72 vintage that uses more oil than gas.
 Like to make as many "local" shows as I can.  Local, as in 100 miles or
less.

Have a 2 HP Witte Kero. - 2 HP F&J "N" Dishpan - 2 HP Stover CT-1 - 2.5
HP IDEAL "M"  Upright - 2.5 HP Jaeger - Couple of Maytags - Couple of
Briggs - A few
other things like water pumps  - grinders - working head - and the like.
Like to collect Kerosene Truck Flares - and anything else that burns
Kero.

Ride a 1984 Harley Davidson FLH (Last of the shovelhead) that has classic
plates because it deserves it. (The only Harley I could ride without a
parts truck in tow.)

Well - If you've read this far, you got too much time on your hands.  Not
much else to say.
Catch Ya All on the web.
Joe B.