[SEL] Re: SEL Digest, Vol 26, Issue 28

Richard Backus rbackus at ogdenpubs.com
Tue May 30 12:35:21 PDT 2006

Tommy, we are indeed switching to a bimonthly schedule. It hasn't been an
easy decision to make, but in the end it's really the best way to make sure
GEM sticks around for years to come. As you noted, GEM used to be bimonthly,
from 1966 until 1985, when it went monthly. If you look back at some of
those issues from the 80s and 90s, you can see that the grass roots interest
in old engines was on fire. For example, the August 1993 issue had 52 pages
of ads. We rarely run half that many pages now. In many ways the hobby's
peaked. That doesn't mean it's run its course, but that its big growth cycle
is over and now we have to work with what's in front of us.

I'm not any more excited about it than the rest of you, but assistant editor
Erin Shipps and I see a chance to have more time to research and develop
articles, and while we'll be cutting back on the number of issues, we're
going to increase the number of editorial pages from where it stands now.
I'm pretty confident that when the dust settles we'll discover that we have
a better magazine, even if it's not coming to us as often as we'd like. And
we'll be making sure that GEM is around for many years to come.
Richard
--
Richard S. Backus
Editor-in-Chief/Farm Collectibles