[SEL] New England OT

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Thu May 25 06:36:20 PDT 2006

Tom,
I would like to ditto Dolly's endorsement of the Precision Museum in VT.
This collection of the earliest machine tools is meant to document the
earliest tooling used in the gun smithing industry.
I found a few pictures from our trip (years ago) and put together a
quick web page so you can have a look. Nearby (I don't recall the town)
is an EARLY hydroelectric power plant that is still on the grid. At the
top of the page is a couple of thumbnails of the power plant. There are
a couple pictures of a marine engine and of the Ticonderoga.
The first of the Precision Museum pictures is of one of the earliest
lathes. You'll notice the "ways" are granite slabs! All manual, not even
feed.
You will see a Bridgeport. This is s/n #1 !
The tall red machine is a broaching tool as I recall. Phenomenal detail
in the pattern work.

But what is most amazing is all the models of machinetools. As I recall
the fellow that made them worked in a large shop by day and went home in
the evenings (or perhaps after retirement) and made accurate models of
the machines he used at work! The detail is unbelievable.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy these and you should certainly make a point to
visit this treasure of New England.
Link:
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/PrecisionMuseumVT/Thumbnails.html>
Curt Holland