[SEL] Curved spokes ...engine rotation

Lyndsay Frazer frazerlyndsay at hotmail.com
Wed May 24 04:07:50 PDT 2006

Hi Guys, without getting really involved in this age old dicussion I think
we all should consider the forces involved when the engine is running. In my
humble opinion the outer end of curved spokes must head in the direction of
the torque, that being away from the cylinder if the engine runs in the
normal clockwise direction. If the flywheel runs the opposite way the outer
rim will tend to wan't to fold in on itself. Take a look at most
pulleys---which way do the curved spokes face in relation to the forces
applied to them by the driven machine?. There are many engines out there
with staight spokes but the pulleys have curved ones.
This is only my opinion for what its worth.

Lyndsay in OZ