[SEL] Little O.T. Gas Tank Problem

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue May 23 10:11:40 PDT 2006

At 06:00 PM 23/05/2006, you wrote:
>Message: 10
>Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 18:06:25 -0500
>From: "Paul Maples" <paulmaples at sbcglobal.net>
>
>  the plastic gas tank on her Sear's riding mower had come apart at the
> seam in the middle where the upper half is joined to the lower half.
> There is just a small place where the seam has let go. If she fills the
> tank past half full then gas runs out the side of the tank and is dangerous.
>Is there something that I cam recommend that she can get at the local
>automotive parts store that she can use to seal up the area where the tank
>has separated?
>Thanks,Paul

Hi Paul,
         Orrin and others are right - look for another one. Although I do
not know the exact specs of your tank, most plastic tanks are made from
either polypropelene or High Density Poltethylene and no "off the shelf"
adhesive will bond to either (certain epoxies may "stick" to it but not
"BOND") and there is probably some vibration on the mower that will soon
pull it apart. You mention that it is made in 2 halves and appears to have
a sealant on the join. It was probably ultrasonically welded together - not
"glued".
         These tanks can be heat welded together but require special
equipment (not a soldering iron) and plastic welding rods made from the
identical material that you are going to weld. I have this equipment - from
a "previous life" - but it is better to just look for a replacement.
Good luck

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787 or 083 283 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans

---