[SEL] Wolseley Type "R"

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Sun May 21 13:21:29 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com
[mailto:sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com] On Behalf Of Jerry Evans
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 10:20 AM
To: sel at lists.stationary-engine.com
Subject: [SEL] Wolseley Type "R"

Snip

         One question - the gear on the maggy is breaking up pretty badly
(unuseable again) - was this made from leather? It is "flaking" apart like
a really old phenolic gear but I do not think that phenolic was around in
1928. Could it have been made from leather? Whatever it was made from was
obviously as a safety feature (as in "shear bolt") to prevent damage to
anything else, but why on the magneto which is a free running unit at the
end of the "power train" ? I will study it more carefully on Wednesday (
and probably post some pics).

Snip

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787 or 083 283 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans

~~~~~~~~~

Don't count this as the definitive answer, but I'll mention that Model A
Ford timing gears (circa 1928 -1931) were made of "fiber."  I cannot say for
sure whether it was phenolic-bonded, but I'm fairly certain it was.

Phenol gears were probably used to keep noise levels down.  I'm sure there
are wear advantages, as well.

I think it improbable that you have a leather gear.

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA
http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/lc_ant_p/index.htm