[SEL] Dramatic change to British Engineerium Auction

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Thu May 11 13:23:21 PDT 2006

(Passed on from the UK model engineers list)
I was at the auction (and know Jonathan Minns the owner of the
collection and manager of the Engineerium).

It was very dramatic. The auction was due to start at 10:30. At 10:20
they announced a 30 min delay due to technical difficulties - we
assumed they meant phone lines/internet or somesuch. At about eleven
the auctioneer stood up and said he had never had such a dramatic
announcement to make. After through-the-night negotiations the entire
collection and site had been bought by a local man. Cheers went up and
everyone except the vultures beamed from ear-to-ear. I really think
three-quarters of those present were very happy not to be able to buy
anything.  Our local rag has more details:
See
http://www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/news/NEWS0.html

(Search under: 'Tycoon's £3 million museum deal by Sara Wallis', if
this is no longer the lead story)
A very happy ending to a nearly sad story. Anyone who has an interest
in this forum should make a point of visiting the Engineerium if they
are in the Brighton area. The (fully working) workshop is one of the
last with large machines still running and doing real work from
overhead line shafts. I am told the Lancashire boilers which supply the
beam engine are the oldest continuously working boilers in the world.
It's a wonderful place for anyone, but especially for steam people.
Cheers Matt
Dave Croft
Warrington
http://oldengine.org/members/croft/homepage