[SEL] Engine Cleaner?

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Thu May 11 08:11:25 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com
[mailto:sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com] On Behalf Of Brian Watts
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:51 AM
To: The SEL email discussion list
Subject: [SEL] Engine Cleaner?

We have an engine that has been in a shed for 98 years it still has a  paint
under the grease and grime ,What can we use to soften the old grease and
save the paint work.
Brian & David Watts
Melbourne
Australia
(03)97266147
briwatt at optusnet.com.au
Web Site
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~briwatt/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've had good luck with a hot air gun.  It will melt the grease as if it
were candle wax.

The top layers can be removed with a putty knife.  As you get nearer to the
paint, just heat and wipe with soft rags.

A messier and slower way is to soak the grease with kerosene or Diesel fuel.
I've even used waterless hand cleaner; but, the hand cleaner will soften the
top layer of the paint.  Usually, this doesn't hurt all that much; but, if
you have decals or pin-striping, be careful.

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA
http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/lc_ant_p/index.htm