[SEL] Engine Cleaner?

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Thu May 11 07:02:49 PDT 2006

G'day Brian,

Personally I really like to use kerosene (paraffin?) and a stiff bristle
brush to gently clean the accumulated mung off an engine.  It's not
as fast or aggressive as harsh chemical cleaners or a power wash, but you
won't be standing next to the engine crying as you look at all the
original paint on the ground or going down the drain either.

It also forces you to really LOOK at the engine as you clean it.  You'll
understand the machine better and are more likely to spot cracks, rapairs,
unusual mechanical wear, etc.

It's pretty rare to find a nice "barn fresh" engine in good condition.
You should really savor the cleaning process.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com