[SEL] powdercoating engine parts? On Topic

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu May 4 17:46:47 PDT 2006

Your neighbor is partly correct. Usually you have to get it a bit warmer
than the cure temp to get it to reflow. I used to enjoy doing powder
demos when client companies would want something different. We did candy
colors, metallic, base clear types, even did things with swirled
powders. The current item coming out is a process to put a wood like
finish on using powder, when finished the part looks like it is made of
wood, even has graining. We did some flame spraying and nylon coating as
well. Nylon is fun to do. It cures at about 650 degrees. You need to use
a flow primer on the part then preheat the part and coat it while hot,
then bake it until it flows out then cool it quick.  Since we only did
small parts we used a batch oven. I used to get to play with that stuff.
Still have the scar from a part falling onto my arm when a rack failed.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York