[SEL] O.T. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Wed Mar 29 16:55:03 PST 2006

In skinny people you may be able to feel one by pressing down on the
tummy. A big, firm, pulsating mass in the middle. They're often found
incidentally on CT scans or ultrasounds done for some other reason.
It's getting common for health fair-type events to offer ultrasound
scanning for aneurysms, screening for blockages in the carotid
arteries, and also blood flow measurements in the leg arteries.

Something I've been doing a fair amount of lately is sending patients
with difficult-to-control hypertension for CT angiograms of their renal
arteries. I've turned up several that got a lot better after their
renal arteries were dilated and stented open.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA