[SEL] Ruston Move Update

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Sat Mar 25 07:01:26 PST 2006

Hi Paul,

> This leaves us in a very difficult position. The costs of transport are
> high enough but installing and restoring such a large engine will cost
> the museum thousands of pounds. To spend this amount of money on an
> engine the museum does not own would be an improper use of funds as the
> owner could ask for the engine back at any time and that money would be
> lost along with the engine.
>
> We have explained our position and are awaiting a response.

If worse comes to worst and the other gent doesn't agree, we have an
expression here that seems like it would apply...  Shit happens.  Some
things you just have no control over; don't beat yourself up about it.

> If nothing changes by the end of the month we will work through all the
> donations and return them. Very frustrating for us as we had such a good
> response and will now feel awkward about trying such an appeal ever again.

Let me save you a little time.  If THIS project goes tits up, there will
be another project that comes along.  Please just put my donation into
the "Project Fund" to use when the opportunity comes up.

As to feeling ackward, I'm sure you do.  But you shouldn't.  You let the
old engine community know about an opportunity that was pretty rare and
unique and fast-breaking.  Most of us are too far away to offer hand-on
wrench turning help, so we do the next best thing, and donate funds.  You
didn't twist any arms, all of those donations were given freely.  Don't
worry about it.  You're doing good work.  I have no doubts at all that
the money will be very well spent.

> Thanks again to all that helped and sent donations and messages of
> support. We will send everyone who donated a full explanation at the end
> of the month.

Good luck, hopefully the other bloke will come to his senses and you'll
be able to report great success.  If not, I'm sure that there are other
big cool engines that will need to be rescued and put back to gentle work
at Internal Fire.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA