[SEL] OT bicycle ride/Albany

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sun Mar 19 10:42:39 PST 2006

At 07:00 PM 19/03/2006, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 08:03:28 +0800
>From: "peter ogborne" <jopeter at omninet.net.au>
>Subject: [SEL] OT bicycle ride
>To: <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>My town is at the moment swarming with bicycles
>http://www.australiassouthwest.com/en/Action+and+Adventure/2006+Great+Western+Australian+Bike+Ride.htm
><snip>
>Peter Ogborne
>Little Grove ,Albany
>West Australia

Hi Peter,
         Went to the link in your mail and a few things were of interest to me:
1) "Albany was the first settlement in Western Australia ". The 1820
British Settlers to South Africa also settled in an area known as Albany
but I don't think they were convicts - at least I hope not - my ancestors
were amongst them :-)
         The Albany museum in Grahamstown is one of our oldest museums and
Bathurst has one of our few "agricultural' museums. (These are in the area
known as Albany in the "old South Africa").

2) Pictures of the "Karri" tree
<http://www.australiassouthwest.com/NR/rdonlyres/AF306B3E-BD4A-4C79-B5EE-C13C8ECCB154/4042/DenmarkKarriTreesIP1.JPG>
look just like our "Bluegum or Saligna" (also from Aus), is this the same
tree or just a member of the same family. Our trees are not as big as those
in the picture. I'm trying to get some Saligna planks to mount my Ronnie N
on at present - he should feel more at home on Aussie timber ! Failing that
it will have to be the planks from the crate that Reg sent him over in.

3) The Dutch named the area "New Holland" - is there any tie up between
this and the "New Holland" agricultural machines and implements. It would
be interesting to know as I always assumed New Holland was from the States
- you know, the place where they get "Cabin Fever":-)

         Lastly: Your guys gave out cricket team a real hiding yesterday
but that's O.K.. I'd rather be beaten by Aus than India or Pakistan :-)

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787 or 083 283 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans

---