[SEL] Tap & Die Set Help Needed--OT

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Wed Mar 15 16:43:00 PST 2006

A little late chiming in but here are my thoughts.
Are both oversize or is one over and the other under. My thought is someone
was trying to make patterns/castings already threaded and possibly hoping to
just clean the parts up with an on size tool after casting. I also thought
if the tap is undersize and the die is oversize then maybe they were used
for roughing with standard taps and dies used for finishing?

For what it is worth, all taps are oversize, at least real ones not made in
China. They are designated with an H limit.  An H3 tap is .0015 oversize, an
H6 is .003 oversize--for every number the H value increases, the tap
increases .0005 in size.

Can't say I ever heard of an oversize die other than adjustable dies.

Oversized taps, as was stated earlier, are used often where shrinkage from
heat treat, hard-coat anodize, or nickel plating comes into play. But we are
normally talking just a few thousandths--not 31.

Someone also mentioned 12 pitch threads and yes they are still widely used
on hydraulic cylinders.

John Hall