[SEL] Tap & Die Set Help Needed--OT

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Sun Mar 12 13:41:22 PST 2006

Hi Arnie,
         I just looked at the taps carefully and all of them (except the
1/2" X 12--which is marked GTD and not Wiley & Russell) have 1/32 stamped
on them as well. I just measured the Wiley and Russell taps ( 3/4', 5/8",
and 7/16") and found them to be between .025" and .031' OVERSIZE. 1/32"
equates to .03125". That would seem to mean that the whole set (dies and
taps) are 1/32 oversize.
         The question would now seem to be "Why would anyone want a set
that is 1/32 oversize?"
                 Dave
PS, The 1/32 is NOT an owners mark nor does it indicate 1 out of 32. I'm
sure it indicates 1/32 oversize--the question is WHY?
PPS, "Fig 222" is stamped in black in on the front of the wooden box.