[SEL] Is a Rare Engine Worth a Case of Good Beer?

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Wed Mar 8 07:01:55 PST 2006

Hi Roger,

Your post amazes me on so many levels, I'm hard pressed to decide where to
begin.  Let's start with the easy part.  Don't get your panties in a
bunch, this IS a Stationary Engine list, this post IS about a rare
stationary engine, that without our help, might end up as a pig iron ingot
on a dockside in Shanghai, China, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, YES YOU DO NEED A
VACATION!!

If you are receiving 350 spam messages per day you NEED to download and
use a spam blocker!!  My typical spam load is 1 or 2 per day that get
through to my Inbox.  You should also have a firewall and a virus checker.
Those are all basics for anyone on the net in 2006.

Now back to the subject...

The Stationary Engine List has a LONG history of involvement in engine
rescues.  The first major one was the Tod Engine Wrecking Crew.  A number
of list members got together, donated time, tools, materials, and some
money to help save the Tod Engine in Youngstown.  There was no personal
gain for anyone involved, just a helluva lot of camaraderie, lifelong
friendships made, and a wonderful engine saved.

There have been other such projects large and small.  One memorable event
was kicked off by Dave Rotigel.  There was a wonderful young man who
posted to Harry's SmokStak that he was 14 and was looking to acquire his
first stationary engine.  He was brutally flamed by a bunch of crusty old
farts who were convinced that he was a shill for someone who wanted to
steal their precious engines.  They probably needed to take vacations too.
Dave took a different approach.  He called the lad in question, talked to
him, determined that he had genuine interest in old engines.  Dave then
approached the list, explained the situation, and asked if folks would
like to contribute to getting this young man his first stationary engine.
Many did, Dave bought him a nice Herc, and the rest is history.  The young
man is a solid collector today, a credit to the hobby, and is still on the
list.

What Paul and Hazel Evans have accomplished with the Internal Fire Museum
in Wales is nothing short of astonishing.  Obviously, you have chosen to
rant to the list about folks trying to steal from you rather than actually
taking a look at the Museum in question.  Do me a personal favor, please?
Stop reading here, and go have a look.
http://www.internalfire.com/

If after checking out the museum, you still feel that I'm in some way
trying to "steal from you" when I encourage you to make a
contribution to saving a big old stationary engine, please let me know and
I'll issue you a public on-list apology.

If, on the other hand, you happen to agree with me that the Internal Fire
Museum is a pretty amazing place and that the world-wide Stationary
Engine List would be better off with that Ruston 11HE Diesel as a
running exhibit at the Internal Fire Museum rather than a lump of pig iron
in China, would you, in return, commit to making a contribution to help
save it?  http://www.internalfire.com/donate.php

How's that, a fair deal?

Oh, and when you book that much needed vacation, consider the British
Isles.  In addition to the Internal Fire Museum, there's also the Anson
Museum http://www.enginemuseum.org/ and many others.  There's also one
helluva set of engine shows that are worth attending.  You can read about
a few of them here...
http://www.oldengine.org/members/arnie/yank2000/yank1.htm
http://www.oldengine.org/members/arnie/yank2001/yank1.htm
http://www.oldengine.org/members/arnie/yank2002/yank1.htm

See ya,  Arnie

PS - Don't forget to get a spam blocker.  That alone might improve your
mood.

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero-ah at city-net.com