[SEL] Good Engine Times

Mike Tucker oldironnut at alltel.net
Mon Jun 26 04:47:24 PDT 2006

Howdy all,

It's been a good couple of weeks in the engine shed so I thought hat
I would give you an update.  When we were trying to get he Famous
ready for the SIAM show we made a big push to get the water pump
mounted and all of the plumbing done.  Unfortunately, the water pump
that I had for it was a centrifugal/vane type pump and coming from
the pulley on the crankshaft to the pulley on the pump only gave
about a 2-1/2 fold increase in rpm's and that just wasn't enough to
pump water.  Fortunately the SEL came through and Tommy Turner
brought me an original type gear pump to SIAM.

Last week, before we took Lincoln to Texas for his annual visit with
his grandmother and cousin, Lincoln tackled rebuilding the water pump
while I was at work.  He got it unstuck with a strap wrench and then
used the gear puller to pull the v-belt pulley from the gear pump and
the flat pulley from our vane pump.  Then he pulled the pump apart,
cleaned it, resealed it and got the packing nut ready to be
re-packed.   The first I even knew that he was working on it was when
he called all excited to tell me that the flat belt pulley from the
vane pump would fit on the shaft of the gear pump.  When I got home
he told me how he did everything and the order in which he did it and
all that was left for me to say was GREAT JOB! So we re-packed the
nut and heated the flat belt pulley and put it on the shaft.

This weekend I got the pump mounted, belted and plumbed and we now
have a water cooled Famous!  It's pumping enough water now that until
I get the saw rig finished and belted the engine never will warm up
:-).

See ya',
Mike