[SEL] quick electrolysis question - cleaning galv parts

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Thu Jun 22 04:59:15 PDT 2006

Quick question for the science and metalurgy experts here........

I have a couple of parts off small air-cool engines that are galvenized -
I was wondering what the effect would be. They aren't really rusty -
although on is on an edge, and I thought maybe it would clean up that tiny
bit of rust and get the gunk off the finish - but then got to thinking -
would it also remove the zinc galvenizing, too?
Don't really want to remove that, it's part of the character of the parts.
Also wondered about using the process on a galvenized engine tank - a few
of the original tanks were galvenized.
I sort of suspect the joints might need to be resealed afterwards.

Thoughts?
Comments?

Bill
Runnells, IA - hey, we got a full tenth of an inch of rain!! WHOOO-HOOOO!
I've not seen wet pavement in weeks, literally.