[SEL] More Rusty Iron

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Jun 1 15:31:44 PDT 2006

Tom,
    The rod greasers (either self feed or manual feed) were by far the
most popular method to lube the rod bearing.  A few used the wick type
lube method where there would be a wick either extending from the rod or
from a fixed point above the rod.  The wick would wipe oil off of a
fixed oiler and it would in turn lube the rod.  I know that Fairbanks
Morse and a couple of other builders used an oil ring where an oiler
with a tube attached to the bottom would drip oil into a ring attached
to the crank throw.  Centrifugal force would make the oil sling to the
outside of the ring and it would then travel into the rod (via a drilled
hole in the throw) and lube it.  Then there were the rod oilers as I
mentioned.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, Ky