[SEL] Rex's Baker monitor now has a Baker Pump Oh Yea !

Joe Prindle joe_prindle2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 19:39:11 PDT 2006

Curt, et.al.,
My apologies for not replying sooner. Been trying to get a bunch of stuff
done for the club.
There is nothing in the serial number list or the list of engineering
changes about the exact engine number or date of the change from red to
grey, but it took place at some point in 1917. I would guess that the
reason that they didn't record the date of the change is because it had no
impact on the repair parts end of things. The whole reason for those
wonderfull little leather bound books that they recorded the engine
changes in was so that they could supply you with parts that would fit
your engine.
There are several reasons why you see more red ball hoppers than grey.
First, during the "red years", 1905 - 1917, the ball hopper engines (2, 4,
6 & 7 hp type VJ) were the most popular Monitors built. As time went on,
the ball hoppers lost market share to the Little Monitor (1 1/4 VJ) and
the 3 and 5 HJ. There is another reason why you see more red ball hopper
engines, and that is because most folks prefer red to grey. I have 2 4 and
7 hp VJ's in grey and 2, 4 & 6 in red. The 6 & 7 are the same, but went
through a re-rating in November of 1912.
The Little Monitor (1 1/4 VJ) and the 3 hp HJ were the last engines built
by Baker. The last price list I have showing them is from 1943, but they
were available from the Kansas City branch house into the 1950's, being
set together from parts. While the last entry in the serial number list is
44,000 in 1934, there were a lot of engines built after that point. I
would imagine that they stopped recording the numbers because no one
really cared, there was little chance of changes or improvements and hence
no reason for records.
There are an awful lot of little changes that were made to the engines
over the years that were not recorded in the engineering change listings.
My limited experience has been that every answer brings with it two more
questions!
The tin disc on the end of the crankshaft is to keep your shirt or jacket
sleeve from getting caught in the key or the governor spring. It was added
to the engines about the same time that the little guard appears over the
gears on the back of the engine. I can't remember the date and my monitor
book is awol.
If there ever was a water hopper lid for the little monitor, there is no
record of it that I can find. No listing in the repair parts lists, no
existing blueprint. With that said, there is nothing to keep you from
casting up a nice water hopper lid. If you wanted to make a pattern, I
could lend you one off one of my big engines or send copies of the prints
and you could scale it.
Anyway, sorry for not replying sooner, not been checking email lately.
Once I get the showbook off to the printer, I will catch up on mail.
Joe

--- Curt <curt at imc-group.com> wrote:

> Joe,
> Please tell us more about red pear hoppered Baker Monitors! Any ball
> hoppered Monitors I've seen in red and so far any pear hoppered Monitors
>
> I've only seen in grey. I just called sleepy teen Devin and went thru
> the s/n list with him asking him to look for any clues about when there
> was a color change on the pear hoppered engines. He didn't find a note
> about it.
> Have you narrowed down a year or s/n at which there was a color change?
>
> Interesting about the tin on the end of the crankshaft. Ours is afixed
> to the flywheel and that is where it has stayed since the restoration.
> But what you say makes perfect sense now that I think about it. If one
> was to use it as a hopper cover, the condensation would run along the
> inside and drip on the _outside_ of the hopper. The condensate would not
>
> run back in the hopper. Pretty keen sleuthing there Joe!
>
> Curt Holland
> Gastonia, NC

Joe Prindle
Baraboo, WI USA