[SEL] BIG Iron

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Mon Jul 10 04:24:09 PDT 2006

Wayne,
    I've heard of people doing that with results in the engine speed.  I
would suspicion that would work though only if the slide valve in the
carb is worn and allows fuel to "seep" around the mechanism.
Theoretically, if the slide valve is working correctly it wouldn't
matter how much fuel (as long as it was sufficient to run the engine)
reached the carb as the slide would regulate it.  I have heard tales of
old engine running days where they couldn't get enough fuel to the
engine.  They would take the chain and intertwine a cotton string
through it.  The cotton would absorb the gas and help carry a greater
quantity to the carb.  I have had more luck regulating the speed of the
Hagan's via adjustment of the intake valve than the chains.  However,
each engine has a personality and whatever it takes to make one go the
way you want it to is what has to be done.  I've thought about bringing
one to Portland again this year (I brought one there 3 years ago).
Haven't totally decided what to bring though.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY