[SEL] bore and sleave an engine question

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Jul 7 03:53:40 PDT 2006

Dave, Craig,
As you know I've machined quite a few of the 1 1/2HP Herc pistons and
it's 2 hours on the lathe and a couple of more on the Bridgeport doing
the wrist pin. The worst part of the job is tramming the Bridgeport!
When I did the 1 1/2HP piston, Tommy Berry suggested I put a chucking
button on the crown to facilitate machining. That has worked out
exceedingly well as it eliminates one of the chucking steps. This lets
you turn the entire piston in 1 setup, leaving only the facing of the
crown. The only drawback is when cutting the ring grooves, as it tends
to chatter a little so you have to go slow here. A big rubber cork in
the open end might help absorb the chatter.
Now admittedly the piston size has a huge impact on the machining time.
The last one I did was the 50# piston casting for the Alamo. I spent the
better part of a Saturday and the following Monday evening just on lathe
work. I didn't keep track of the hours but I'd guess 10 hours lathe
time. I couldn't do the wrist pin bore work on a standard Bridgeport
(needed 6" of quill travel and lots of vertical room for the part and
the tooling) so I had to ask a favor of a large machineshop in town and
they let me use one of their LARGE "Bridgeport" style machines for this
step. That was a brand new machine to me and between the setup, finding
the tooling and doing the job I spent the better part of a day there. It
should have been about 4 hours of work.  That would be much closer to
the time your buddy estimated. You tend to be a LOT more careful with a
single 50# casting that when you have a dozen little pistons castings
available. It's not too traumatic if you kill a little part!
I did document the machining steps for the small piston. I thought I had
put the machining times on here but I guess not. At one point I
definitely tracked my time on these as there was a local retiree who was
going to machine these. I think he estimated $80 each for the machining.
That never panned out due to his health though. Here is the link on the
machining steps for the small piston.
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/PistonMachiningSteps/Thumbnails.html>
After Portland I'll be machining the first of the 3HP Herc pistons made
from the patterns developed over the winter. I'll be sure to document
the time.
Curt