[SEL] bore and sleave an engine question

Dave Otto dotto at velocitus.net
Thu Jul 6 18:20:05 PDT 2006

I sent this out this morning but for some reason it didn't show up.

Hi all,

The main reason I decided to make a new piston was because the crown had a
circular crack due to a run in with a BFH at some point. My original plan
was to have the piston sprayed and a new set of rings made to fit the newly
honed bore. Not wanting to put a bunch of work and money into a broken
piston, I decided to go with a new piston.

With Curt's gracious help in designing the pattern and core box for me I
started the pattern making process which most of you have seen pictures of
on my Webshots page.

Rick Rowlands made the molds and poured the castings for the piston and two
different rocker arms. The castings were received last week and I'm very
pleased with how they turned out.

It was a lot of fun to open that box and see the results of a lot of hard
work.

I learned some new skills and in the future if I need a cast part it won't
be as much of a mystery how to do the pattern work and end up with nice
finished product.

I will try to get a few pictures of the castings posted in the next day or
so.

Dave