[SEL] bore and sleave an engine question

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Wed Jul 5 10:25:21 PDT 2006

Ron,
I am sure there are as many opinion on the subject of sleeving engines
as there are brands of engines! It is my position, that as caretakers of
these engines, it is our duty to preserve as much of the precious block
material as possible. The practice of hogging out huge amounts of
cylinder material to fit a sleeve has never set well with me. I much
prefer the option of boring the cylinder only the amount needed to just
clean it up and get it round and straight again. Then to make a new
piston, since oversized OEM pistons won't likely be available. I've
documented the piston pattern making process on my website to encourage
folks to give pattern making a try. Believe you me I am NO wood worker!
But still managed to make a go of the pattern and corebox that was
sufficient for Rick to cast pistons for my engines. There is a real
sense of accomplishment when you get to hold in your hand the casting
that is the result of your pattern making efforts. Dave Otto just made a
pattern for his Falk engine and maybe he'll pipe up and tell us about
his experience on his first piston pattern.
As caretakers, someone a couple of hundred years from now will be
thanking you for your conservation of the precious block material or
cursing you for hogging it all away for a sleeve that is impossible to
remove and replace.
Nomex fitted.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC