[SEL] OT........bush fires in Australia

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Thu Jan 26 06:23:44 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com
[mailto:sel-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com] On Behalf Of James Moran
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 3:42 AM
To: The SEL email discussion list
Subject: Re: [SEL] OT........bush fires in Australia

PO-
  Thanks for the explanation...I thought that was the case.  I have  no
idea, of course, as to your musical taste but there is a folk-style  tune
called "Cold Missouri Water" that you might find compelling.   Based upon a
true story, it tells of a man named Dodge, chief of a jump  team that went
to fight a fire in Montana in 1949.  Of the fifteen  that jumped that day,
only two survived the ordeal, including Dodge who  bore the guilt of his
fallen comrades for years.  Quite a story  and piece of music.  You can find
it on the internet radio  services that specialize in the acoustic/folk
genre.  It has been  issued by James Keelaghan and Richard Shindell.
  JM

~~~~~~~~~

This sad story is also immortalized in Norman Maclean's "Young Men and
Fire," ISBN: 0226500624.  It is a fascinating book, a real page turner, in
my estimation.  It is available for as little as $1.14 on Abebooks:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/

Maclean also wrote "A River Runs Through It."

Regards,

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA