[SEL] OT: Bill Strickland's Article In American Rifleman

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Wed Jan 25 15:33:41 PST 2006

I just noticed in my new American Rifleman that there's a historical
article about the Army's commissioning of the development of the
.30-378 Weatherby, written by our fellow old iron nut Bill Strickland.
The special rifle was used in high speed projectile research headed up
by Bill's dad, also named William Strickland. This research was
critical in the development of modern antitank projectiles and armor.
They used special light projectiles of various materials, loaded up to
muzzle velocities of 6000 FPS or so, fired into various targets at a
range of 10 feet as very high speed movie cameras recorded the impacts.
That's about as high a muzzle velocity as can be practically attained
with smokeless rifle propellants, though light gas guns have achieved
projectile velocities up to 19000 FPS or so.

Way to go, Bill! Very interesting article.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA