[SEL] From a newsgroup: Lookin For: Crank for 1.5hp Economy

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Wed Jan 25 11:58:23 PST 2006

Gotta go with arnie here - I've been cranking tractors and engines since I
was a kid of how small. Been hit once in the leg (when I was a few years
younger) - I got "scared" and didn't handle it properly - getting scared
is what hurt me.
Some of the low tension or rotary mag engines can be a beast if you don't
use the crank.

Most like the Alamo/Rock Island, Chapman (battery ignition) and others
like them start with a couple flips of the flywheel.
It's a beast to try to get my IH M going that way.

I don't worry about it - I keep the shafts in good shape, the cranks in
good condition and use them properly.
I try to start those I can without a crank, but those that are difficult
get cranked.
 Will I get hurt? Maybe. But my son lost his eye (when he was 21) crossing
the street in front of his home one evening when a mugger slugged him
with a gun and crushed his face and eye.