[SEL] 12 hp Lister & 11 hp Ruston Hornsby on eBay

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 10:37:33 PST 2006

On 1/21/06, Bob W7AVK <rsrolfne at atnet.net> wrote:
> Dear Tommy - Does one of the photo show part of the name tag saying it
> was made in India?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob
>
> Judge Tommy Turner wrote:
>
> > Darn Arnie, I wished those babies were in the US.
> >
> > Tommy Turner

Yes it does, Ruston & Hornsby set up an Indian subsidiary which made
many of the engine ranges up until they stopped production.

This one is an ex-college engine, same as ours, and should be a late
1950's or early 1960's engine judging by the plastic oil reservoir
caps etc etc.

The drive wheel and grooved belt  is for the electric brake which
would have been supplied with the engine as part of the thermodynamics
test rig. We have that wheel with our engine also, plus we have the
electric dynamometer as well.

The curious thing about these engines is that the cranksjaft is so
bl**dy long!  it is as wide as it is long, there must be nearly a foot
of spare crankshaft sticking out each side.

Another owner contacted us last week with an almost identical engine.
Seems that hard times are flushing out a few nice lumps.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com