[SEL] RE: Making old style, old looking black iron pipe fittings

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Wed Jan 18 16:41:44 PST 2006

> Pulled them out and wow! I was pleased:

<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Rusty/Rusty
2.jpg>

> and another view:

<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Rusty/Rusty
1.jpg

Hey Curt,
Those came out nicely!  So it was just the effect of a
couple hours of steam that did the trick?

> are a 100 years old.
> If SWMBO will agree I may try some on the kitchen stove or

Just send her off to the market to buy you beer and crisps.
When she's out, use the vegetable steamer.
Good luck!

Here's some more data:
When doing reverse electrolysis, it seems that a sodium
chloride solution eats up the metal but doesn't leave any
color.  A solution of sodium bicarbonate leaves a nice brown
color.  There are other variables, that haven't been
eliminated, but the above seems at this time to be the most
likely factor.

Rob