[SEL] Economy runs

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Wed Jan 18 11:10:11 PST 2006

Rob,
For the sake of discussion I've got a couple of questions for you.
The open / dwell time of the cam can't really be adjusted. By jumping a
few teeth to retard the opening of the exhaust valve you will also
retard the closing of the exhaust valve at the conclusion of the exhaust
stroke.
In general I time an engine missing the timing marks by setting the
_closing_ point of the exhaust valve so that it closed right at or one
tooth past TDC. I never pay any attention to where it opens. This allows
a full charge on the intake stroke.
By doing as you suggest the piston will begin traveling back down the
bore on the intake stroke, sucking burned exhaust gases back into the
cylinder before the valve fully closes and only then can the intake
valve be sucked open.
You will have a leaner charge in the cylinder to compress and fire next
time around. I gather you have tried this and it worked OK? Is this an
effective means of getting an engine to run slower in addition to being
quieter?
I have found that ignition timing has a large impact on the bark of an
engine. Late timing (to allow very slow running) results in a loud bark
when the exhaust valve opens, and early timing (factory recommended
setting) makes for a much quieter bark as most of the burning has occurred.
What have you discovered about adjusting the rocker arm adjustment on a
Hercules/Jaeger? By unscrewing the adjuster you can effectively lessen
the open time of the exhaust cycle. This would make it close sooner and
open later and in conjunction with the retarded cam gear position you
recommend, have you found this makes for a quieter, slower running engine?
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC