[SEL] antivirus OT

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 13:04:22 PST 2006

On 1/9/06, Mark Shattuck <MarkShattuck at ntelos.net> wrote:
> Bill Chill Out ?  Tom is using AOL they give security if want it of not
> . I have tryed to turn off there stuff and i can't . If you select don't
> check my system it still does any way in the back ground . I e-mailed
> tom OFF list he does not need much of any thing useing AOL . He does not
> need ad-awere -or norton anything , thing AOL gives Mcafee for free to
> aol users . he covered . Just turn on your M/S Firewall good to go ..
> Mark L Shattuck

Hi Mark:

One of the problems with a closed email group like the engine lists,
is that as soon as anyone catches a cold, it spreads round the group,
so we all need to keep an eye on what is happening on our computers,
whether we understand them or not.

Industry opinions vary on AOL from 'pretty poor' to 'worse than
useless', but it does suit a lot of people who cannot get involved in
setting up their own systems for some reason. We've been there, got
burnt and left it pretty quickly, but looking through the email
addresses of folks that we deal with, there is probably a 20% - 25%
usage of AOL, so it must suit them.

Microsoft has not a good reputation for bullet-proof software, and
this week's update/patch (you did get it didn't you?) shows yet
another hole for hackers to exploit. THAT is why all these precautions
are necessary, it's not just us here banging the drum. I don't use any
Microsoft software other than the operating system and Office,
everything else is from other places of supply.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com