[SEL] Listeroid safety warning on Ebay

Steve Gray segray at mlode.com
Mon Jan 9 23:09:41 PST 2006

Hi All -

   Want to throw this out amongst the gang here as a caution more than
anything. There's currently a 16 HP Listeroid up on Ebay right now (#
7578704005) that could prove dangerous if used as advertised. The sale
was brought to my attention by George Breckenridge, a friend and dealer
of such engines. The concern is over the advertised rated speed of a
full 1000 RPM with 27" (possibly 24") cast iron flywheels, which is WAY
over safe speed (absolute max for a 27" is 750 using the 60 MPH rule).
The seller apparently is ignoring cautions from the engine community.
His picture of the engines label is hard to read, so I'm not sure if
he's making the RPM figure up or the Indian manufacturer is throwing
caution to the wind. In any case, as George remarked, a few bad
incidents with these engines and it could conceivably effect the whole
engine community (and it's insurance programs). Note, too, that this is
an RPM under load. Knowing the governors used, if this engine went
unloaded.... look out!!!

Be careful out there.

- Steve

--