[SEL] antivirus OT

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Sun Jan 8 15:46:08 PST 2006

Good grief! You are basing your computer security on things like "I had this
once, it didn't work right so I trashed it and would never buy it again" or
"I had a Chevy truck once, was the worst truck I'd ever had so you should
never buy one either".

One needs to be VERY careful basing on such "opinions" because a failure
COULD be related to what else is happening on that computer to interact with
the AV product as well - meaning it's possible any other AV app would have
failed at that particular time as well. Settings/options (or lack there-of,
often), practices of the PC operator (expertise or lack of as well), other
software installed or active, the OS, etc all come into play.

Do be careful with "freeware" as they do not have access to the same inside
information the commercial products do, at least not to the extent that
commercial packages can blend into and protect core OS files or work with
core os features (or bugs in the case of Windoze)

PCMagazine isn't too bad at evaluations.............

How about basing it on industry facts (don't even consider the things trade
rags or "the media" will say, they are often clueless), or even at least
partially base your selection on the experience of an IT person who has been
in charge of antivirus for 3 international companies and a state agency and
has worked in the PC AV field since 1992?

 I will tell you this - there is NO perfect protection - PERIOD. None. Each
is strong in some areas, weak in others.

Bill
Runnells, Iowa, USA