[SEL] Fairbanks Morse 2HP "Z" 'dishpan f/w'

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Mon Feb 27 15:59:20 PST 2006

In a message dated 2/27/2006 5:10:28 P.M. Central Standard Time,
ggabrielg at bellsouth.net writes:

Hi  gang;

I know nothing about this engine, only what I can reason  out.

Pictures can be seen at this  link:
http://www.echothetruth.com/echothetruth/fm.htm

Notice!!   I ask some questions on each picture.  If you can help...  Thanks

Regards;
Gerald

Hi Gerald,
Another thought on your engine.  Many were built to start using  gasoline and
when warmed up a little, switch to kerosene.  The little  trough around the
intake may be your gasoline reservoir, and, if so, there  should be a needle
valve on the left and another on the right, the right one  being to control fuel
flow from the tank below.  Since show engines are  often run with little or
no load, most people run on gasoline in the main  tank.  Even so, priming the
cup with a little gasoline and starting from  the left needle may be easier.
Do this where a flare of fire won't hurt,  such as outside your garage.

Also, you should find a grease cup on the big end of the connecting rod,
much like the ones on your main bearings.

I start my Fairbanks dishpan by holding the intake valve open while  cranking
up to speed, then releasing it and it takes off on its own.

Finally, NEVER wear gloves while starting this engine.  Should the  glove
stick to the handle, it could cause serious damage to your hand, wrist and  arm.
I scared myself in this way one cold day when I foolishly cranked  while
wearing a leather glove.  When I felt the glove tighten on my hand, I  hastily
started decelerating being careful to NOT let go of the intake  valve.

Regards,
Ron Carroll

-------------------------------1141084760

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 2/27/2006 5:10:28 P.M. Central Standard Time,=20
ggabrielg at bellsouth.net writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"><=
FONT=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=
=3D2>Hi=20
  gang;<BR><BR>I know nothing about this engine, only what I can reason=20
  out.<BR><BR>Pictures can be seen at this=20
  link:<BR>http://www.echothetruth.com/echothetruth/fm.htm<BR><BR>Notice!!&n=
bsp;=20
  I ask some questions on each picture.  If you can help...=20
  Thanks<BR><BR>Regards;<BR>Gerald</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hi Gerald,</DIV>
<DIV>Another thought on your engine.  Many were built to start using=20
gasoline and when warmed up a little, switch to kerosene.  The little=20
trough around the intake may be your gasoline reservoir, and, if so, there=20
should be a needle valve on the left and another on the right, the right one=
=20
being to control fuel flow from the tank below.  Since show engines are=
=20
often run with little or no load, most people run on gasoline in the main=20
tank.  Even so, priming the cup with a little gasoline and starting fro=
m=20
the left needle may be easier.  Do this where a flare of fire won't hur=
t,=20
such as outside your garage.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Also, you should find a grease cup on the big end of the connecting rod=
,=20
much like the ones on your main bearings.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I start my Fairbanks dishpan by holding the intake valve open while=20
cranking up to speed, then releasing it and it takes off on its own.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Finally, NEVER wear gloves while starting this engine.  Should the=
=20
glove stick to the handle, it could cause serious damage to your hand, wrist=
 and=20
arm.  I scared myself in this way one cold day when I foolishly cranked=
=20
while wearing a leather glove.  When I felt the glove tighten on my han=
d, I=20
hastily started decelerating being careful to NOT let go of the intake=20
valve.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>Ron Carroll</DIV>