[SEL] Myrick Registry-> Removing paint for Arnie

Paul + Colleen Gray pcgray at zoominternet.net
Mon Feb 13 12:40:53 PST 2006

Arnie-

I used conventional paint stripper. I put it on and within 5-10 mins
(soon as it blistered), wiped it off with a rag and/or a scotchbrite
(gently though) on the stubborn spots.. Trick was to go easy and use
lots of rags; do not be stingy with the stripper either.  I cleaned off
any final traces with acetone and let it dry. Then I put on a few light
coats of wipe-on semi-gloss polyurethane to prevent rusting. So far it
still looks the same after several sweats during temp changes in my
shop. The poly keeps those flywheels looking sharp without the oily
residue. That 100 year old finish has little organic in it which can be
dissolved with the stripper. You can add a bit of pigment to the poly
to bring up the original color if there is a really faded area. Hope
this helps....

Paul