[SEL] Happy Birthday Patrick - Cider mill

Keith Kinney kkinney at herculesengines.com
Sun Feb 12 17:23:07 PST 2006

Well today is my birthday too and while I didn't get an engine I did
get some really neat old iron.  My dad made arrangements with my
uncle go get my grandpa's old cider mill for my birthday.  He picked
it up and surprised me with it Wednesday night.  Needless to say, I
was thrilled!

  It was made in 1869.  I can remember in the mid 1960s as a small
child helping my grandpa throw apples into the hopper and make apple
cider.  After my grandparents deaths my uncle ended up with mill.  It
has sat in his old barn, which the roof blew off, for the past 15 or
so years.  The wood is all rotten but other than missing the had
crank it is all there and in pretty good shape.  Dad and I unloaded
it yesterday and disassembled the mill.  Pictures can be seen here:
http://www.herculesengines.com/Cider%20Mill/index.htm

One interesting thing.  Several years ago fellow list member Glenn
Karch had given us the metal parts for an old cider mill he had found
is his in-laws woods.  Another good friend of ours had a restored
cider mill that we were going to borrow to use as a pattern to
rebuild the mill from Glenn.  Well a few months ago our friends house
was totally demolished by the tornado that came through
Evansville.  He called me and ask if we could store the mill, a
couple of engines and an antique tractor until he could get his house
and barn rebuilt.  We picked the stuff up and have it stored in our
barns.  Would you believe that his cider mill is the exact same brand
and model mill as my Grandpa's.  It will make the rebuilding of the
wood frame of the mill much easier.  We plan to simultaneously
restore both mills.
Keith

Keith Kinney
Evansville, Indiana