[SEL] Not OT since it is about the list email....

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 13:29:00 PST 2006

On 2/12/06, Spencer Yost <yostsw at atis.net> wrote:
> I just thought you folks would get a kick out of seeing what ATIS and other
> folks that run email servers have to deal with in terms of SPAM/Phish/Virus
> mail:
>
> http://www.atis.net/~yostsw/trendreport.pdf
>
> This is just one of 49 domains I provide email service for.   Well over 20K
> messages/day are blocked and maybe 1.5K is accepted. You can bet your
> bottom dollar that many ISPs don't go to this much trouble (and why you get
> more than a few SPAM messages a day) and the ones that do are going to have
> to start charging for email.
>
> Speakign of email postage:  This doesn't affect us too much, but is a
> harbinger of things to come.  Make no mistake:  Email postage is coming,
> even if it takes a few years:
>
> http://www.forrester.com/Research/Document/Excerpt/0,7211,38950,00.html
> http://www.sacunion.com/pages/entertainment/articles/7679/
>
> Just thought this would be an interesting point and some intersting reading
> on a day that is snowy for most of us.
>
> Spencer Yost
> Owner, ATIS

Saw the snow reports this evening, looks a bit dodgy in places in the
eastern side of the USA, and that after one of the mildest periods for
a long time....

There was an item on the BBC website last week about changes to the
way the internet is operated, and that there are plans for ISP's to
start charging extra for some content. URL is here if you want to read
the article:

As far as spam goes, we clean out our spam folder on the Easynet
server once a week, normally 800+ spam emails in there, we don't look
through them, just empty the folder. Same for our company email
address which is also at Easynet. Mailwasher Pro catches a few daily
that get through Easynet's filtering.

This email address with Gmail doesn't attract any spam as it is only
used for the two engine lists and a bit of private mail.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com