[SEL] New Google Patent Search is Awesome

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Fri Dec 15 07:09:35 PST 2006

Hiya Folks,

Ready for an early Christmas present?  Check THIS out...
http://www.google.com/patents

Google has a new patent search.  It includes ALL US patents, it can do
date searches, text searches, and searches for inventor and assignee.
Read the FAQ for more info.
http://www.google.com/googlepatents/about.html#adv

This looks like a boon for researching old engines and tools.  One thing I
noticed is that their data entry has some glitches.  For example, 626155
(Fithian's patent for the Bessemer half-breed) lists "GAS ENGINE" as the
inventor.  However, a search on just "Fithian" did find the patent and a
number of his other ones; for the clutch pulley for example.

This should prove invaluable for tracing the evolution of key gas engine
features.  A couple of my personal areas of interest are the evolution of
the fuel feeder in the Middleditch / Detroit / Bessemer line of two-cycle
engines and the fuel system found on the Waterloo & Robertsonville
engines.  I can see a "lost weekend" coming up...

BTW it found my 11 patents slicker 'n snot on a doorknob.  8-))

Note also that it's a Beta Version, so I don't want to hear any whining if
something doesn't work.  Tell Google.  8-))

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com