[SEL] OT: British addresses, was ATIS Holdiay Charity Auction

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 00:09:19 PST 2006

On 11/12/06, Orrin Iseminger <oiseming at moscow.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out all the elements in the address:
>
> A cousin of mine just moved to the UK and I'm a complete dunce when it comes
> to deciphering her address:
>
> 19 Walesbeech
> Furnace Green
> Crawley
> West Sussex, RH10  6SJ
> England

As we lived in Crawley for 20+ years, we are familiar with the
addresses and can give the following:

Crawley is divided up into 'estate' areas, Furnace Green is one of the
later ones, started in the late 1950's, we lived in Tilgate which was
next door.

The PostCode RH10  6SJ is broken down into:
Post Town - Redhill in this case - RH which covers:

Betchworth, Billingshurst, Burgess Hill, Crawley, Dorking, East
Grinstead, Forest Row, Gatwick, Godstone, Haywards Heath, Horley,
Horsham, Lingfield, Oxted, Pulborough, Redhill, Reigate

Post Town area - 10 is Crawley, 12 is Turners Hill where my sister
lives and so on.

6 is the subdivision for Furnace Green

SJ is the 'walk' that has that house in its address area.

Main area codes for the UK are:

AB - Aberdeen HA - Harrow PO - Portsmouth
AL - St Albans HD - Huddersfield PR - Preston
B - Birmingham 	HG - Harrogate RG - Reading
BA - Bath HP - Hemel Hempstead RH - Redhill
BB - Blackburn HR - Hereford RM - Romford
BD - Bradford HS - Western Isles S - Sheffield
BH - Bournemouth HU - Hull SA -	Swansea
BL - Bolton HX - Halifax SE - London
BN - Brighton IG - Ilford SG - Stevenage
BR - BromleyIM - Isle Of Man SK - Stockport
BS - Bristol IP - Ipswich SL - Slough
BT - Belfast IV - Inverness - SM - Sutton
CA - Carlisle JE - Jersey SN - Swindon
CB - Cambridge KA - Kilmarnock SO - Southampton
CF - Cardiff KT - Kingston Upon Thames SP - Salisbury
CH Chester KW - Kirkwall SR - Sunderland
CM - Chelmsford KY - Kirkcaldy SS - Southend-On-Sea
CO - Colchester L - Liverpool ST - Stoke-On-Trent
CR - Croydon LA - Lancaster SW - London
CT - Canterbury LD - Llandrindod Wells SY - Shrewsbury
CV - Coventry LE - Leicester TA - Taunton
CW - Crewe LL - Llandudno TD - Galashiels
DA - Dartford LN - Lincoln TF - Telford
DD - Dundee LS - Leeds TN - Tonbridge
DE - Derby LU - Luton TQ - Torquay
DG - Dumfries M - Manchester TR - Truro
DH - Durham ME - Medway TS - Cleveland
DL - Darlington MK - Milton Keynes TW - Twickenham
DN - Doncaster ML - Motherwell UB - Uxbridge
DT - Dorchester	N - London W - London
DY - Dudley NE - Newcastle Upon Tyne WA - Warrington
E - London NG - Nottingham WC - London
EC - London NN - Northampton WD - Watford
EH - Edinburgh NP - Newport WF - Wakefield
EN - Enfield NR - Norwich WN - Wigan
EX - Exeter NW - London WR - Worcester
FK - Falkirk OL - Oldham WS - Walsall
FY - Blackpool OX - Oxford WV - Wolverhampton
G - Glasgow PA - Paisley YO - York
GL - Gloucester	PE - Peterborough ZE - Lerwick
GU - Guildford PH - Perth
GY - Guernsey PL - Plymouth

Note that London does not have a letter code, only the postal areas
within London.

Rita's late father was a Postman :-))

Peter
--