[SEL] Hedge Apples

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Tue Dec 5 07:26:59 PST 2006

Good to know George.  I would assume that someone needed it for a
bearing of some sort.  We have a lot of them here in central KY.  They
grow rather large as well.  I guess our climate is right for some trees
to get larger than they do in many parts of the country.  A couple of
years ago I had an engine at Portland and it was on Sassafrass skids.
They were probably 4" x 6".  I had several people ask me about them as
they liked the grain and color of the wood.  Most all were surprised
when I told them sassafrass as that type tree never grew more than 6
inches or so in diameter where they lived.  Here, I can make 6 x 8
sassafrass skids all day long.  Its a beautiful wood.

Tommy Turner